In the early 1900’s there were only a small number of licensed clubs in Victoria. A small number of Echuca citizens identified a need for a club to cater for the working people. After a struggle to get a liquor license, Echuca Workingman’s Club was finally established at the Steam Packet Motel site in 1911. A member had to be 21 years of age before they were permitted to become nominated for membership.
They remained trading there until August 5th 1922 when they moved to the current Annesley Street site. The club previously had ownership of a house next to the Club (now the car park) and the now council owned land in Nish Street. Renovations and extensions were completed in the 1960’s. Women were finally permitted to become “associate” members in January 1974 after a 5-year battle.